Connect with us

உலகம்

Mahmoud Khalil to appeal US deportation case to Supreme Court

Published

on

Pro-Palestine advocate takes claim that Trump administration targeted him for protected free speech to top US court.

Mahmoud Khalil, who has been targeted for deportation by the administration of US President Donald Trump over his pro-Palestine advocacy, will appeal his case to the Supreme Court, according to his lawyers.

The announcement on Friday came after a federal appeals court – in a 6-5 decision – declined to rehear Khalil’s case challenging his immigration detention.

Khalil has pursued two legal tracks since his detainment by Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agents in March 2025.

The first challenged his detention on civil liberties grounds, maintaining that his free speech rights as a US permanent resident had been trampled.

Last June, a federal judge sided with Khalil, ordering his release from immigration detention and barring his deportation. However, a federal appeals court later ruled that the judge in the initial ruling lacked jurisdiction over the matter.

Following Friday’s decision, that case will now be taken to the top court in the US.

“Today’s decision is not the final word, and we still strongly believe in our arguments going forward,” Brett Max Kaufman, senior counsel at the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), said in a statement.

“Federal courts must have the power to step in when the government exploits our country’s immigration system to punish people for their constitutionally protected speech. If the Trump administration can target, arrest, detain, and deport Mahmoud for his speech, they can do it to anyone expressing an opinion they disagree with.”

Separately, Khalil’s legal team has been challenging his deportation in US immigration courts.

Last month, the Board of Immigration Appeals issued a final order of removal, but Khalil’s lawyers have also appealed the ruling.

In a filing last week, his lawyers argued that new evidence indicates that Khalil’s case was subject to “apparent procedural abnormalities”.

They pointed to a report by The New York Times that found that Khalil’s case had been flagged as high priority before it had arrived at the Board of Immigration Appeals, in what his lawyers say indicated the case was being “fast-tracked”.

The report also found that three judges at the Board of Immigration Appeals recused themselves from the case. While the reasons for the recusals were not made public, experts familiar with the board’s procedures have said the rate of recusals was extremely rare.

Khalil and his legal team have long maintained that he is unjustly being made an example of by the Trump administration, which has used immigration enforcement and crack down on pro-Palestine protesters.

US Secretary of State Marco invoked a rare provision of the Immigration and Nationality Act in targeting Khalil. The section allows the deportation of individuals deemed to be a national security threat based on “past, current or expected beliefs, statements, or associations that are otherwise lawful”.

The administration later added the claim that Khalil had intentionally failed to disclose his past work for the UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) on his immigration application.

The Board of Immigration Appeals has ruled that both grounds are valid for Khalil’s deportation.

Khalil has never been charged with a crime and the administration has presented no evidence he represents a national security threat.

In a statement last week, Khalil said the administration “wants to arrest, detain, and deport me to intimidate everyone speaking out for Palestine across this country, and they are willing to violate longstanding US rules and procedures to do it”.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/5/22/mahmoud-khalil-to-appeal-us-deportation-case-to-supreme-court?traffic_source=rss

உலகம்

What are the implications of US sanctions in Lebanon?

Published

on

Nine people targeted, including Lebanese military officers.

As Israel keeps up its attacks on Lebanon despite a ceasefire, the United States has sanctioned nine people, including two Lebanese military officers, accused of links to Hezbollah.

It comes while Washington brokers more talks between Lebanese and Israeli officials.

David Wood – Senior Lebanon analyst at the International Crisis Group

Randa Slim – Middle East programme director at the US-based Stimson Center

Elijah Magnier – Specialist in Middle East wars and regional military dynamics

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/inside-story/2026/5/22/us-lebanon-sanctions-implications?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

San Diego’s Muslims, a mosque, and a city shaken

Published

on

We hear how San Diego’s Muslim community is grieving, supporting one another, and trying to move forward after an attack that shattered their sense of safety. How does a community begin healing after unimaginable loss?

This episode was produced by Chloe K. Li and Sarí el-Khalili, with Spencer Cline, Catherine Nouhan, Tuleen Barat, and our host, Malika Bilal. It was edited by Noor Wazwaz. 

Our sound designer is Alex Roldan. Our video editors are Hisham Abu Salah and Mohannad al-Melhem. Alexandra Locke is The Take’s executive producer.  

@AJEPodcasts on X, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/the-take-2/2026/5/22/aje-onl-usa_sandiegomosque_av_v2-220526?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Man City boss and Palestine advocate Pep Guardiola to step down

Published

on

Man City boss and Palestine advocate Pep Guardiola to step down

The Spanish manager, who has spent years using his platform to condemn Israel’s genocide in Gaza and stand with Palestinians, is stepping down as manager of Manchester City after a trophy-laden 10-year reign.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/newsfeed/2026/5/22/man-city-boss-and-palestine-advocate-pep-guardiola-to-step-down?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 by 7Tamil Media, All rights reserved.