Connect with us

முக்கியச் செய்திகள்

Air fares soar by nearly 25% as Iran war forces flights to re-route

Published

on

The war in the Middle East has helped to trigger a surge in air fares, with the lowest-priced economy tickets costing 24% more on average than they did a year ago, according to new research.

The report, from the consultancy Teneo, says that airspace restrictions caused by the conflict have forced airlines to reroute many flights, increasing the amount of fuel they have to use.

Additionally, disruption to oil supplies has pushed up the cost of fuel itself.

There has also been a significant loss of capacity on long-haul routes normally served by Gulf carriers, which have had their operations heavily disrupted.

Although rival airlines have expanded their operations to some long-haul destinations, there are still fewer seats available than normal.

Some rival airlines have expanded their operations to some long-haul destinations.

Jet fuel prices have soared from about $85-$90 per barrel to $150-$200 per barrel in recent weeks. Fuel accounts for up to a quarter of airlines' operating expenses.

The biggest impact on ticket prices has been felt on routes between Europe and East Asia, the report says. A flight from London to Melbourne in June now costs 76% more than last year, while the price of a flight from Hong Kong to London has gone up by 72%.

US media reported on Tuesday that Vice President JD Vance will travel to Pakistan for peace talks, but Iran has not confirmed it will send a delegation.

US President Donald Trump said he did not want to extend the ceasefire, which is due to expire on Wednesday.

He told CNBC there was "not much time" to reach a deal, and that the Iranians could get themselves on "a very good footing" if they reach one with the US.

Meanwhile, airlines operating out of the UK have warned that if the conflict in the Middle East continues or worsens, it will force them to cut flights and push up fares.

They have called on the government to take a number of steps to protect them from the effects of the disruption caused by the closure of the Strait of Hormuz.

This would include allowing delays and cancellations due to fuel shortages to be classified as "extraordinary circumstances", allowing them to avoid paying out compensation, something that European airlines have also called for.

Sources have suggested to the BBC that this demand is not being seriously considered.

They have asked for Air Passenger Duty – a tax on passengers – to be cut or suspended, as well as for a major emissions trading scheme to be temporarily stood down.

The demands are contained in a confidential briefing document sent to ministers and the Civil Aviation Authority by Airlines UK, a body which represents a large number of carriers, including EasyJet, Ryanair, British Airways and Virgin Atlantic.

The document – first reported on by ITV News – also calls for restrictions on night flights to be eased and rules on the allocation of take-off and landing slots at busy airports to be relaxed. This would prevent airlines losing valuable slots if they were unable to operate services.

The government, it says, should establish "targeted refinery obligations", which would if necessary force oil refineries to prioritise the production of jet fuel over other products, such as petrol or diesel.

The Department of Transport said: "UK airlines are clear that they are currently not seeing a shortage of jet fuel.

"We continue to work with fuel suppliers, airlines and international counterparts on our contingency planning, to ensure people keep moving and businesses are supported while the conflict is ongoing.

"Our overriding priority is to de-escalate this conflict, open up the Strait and prevent disruption to passengers."

The letter also suggests that ministers should temporarily allow the import and use of Jet A, a type of aviation fuel widely produced in the US. Although essentially similar to the fuel used in Europe, Jet A1, it has a higher freezing point, and is not currently permitted in the UK.

Analysts say many US refineries are not currently capable of making Jet A1, which has limited their ability to replace the supplies currently blocked in the Gulf.

A spokesman for Airlines UK said: "Airlines continue to operate normally and are not currently experiencing issues with jet fuel supply, but as you would expect we remain in close contact with the DfT given the current external environment.

"It is vital that government take the right actions now to ensure the continuation of supply, as well as support the UK aviation industry, which has been impacted by record high jet fuel prices and that includes providing additional flexibility.

"Additional flexibility should it be needed would enable airlines to operate most efficiently to minimise any disruption to customers and maintain long-established global networks."

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/crr14qplxe8o?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=rss

முக்கியச் செய்திகள்

The Papers: Original 'Labour leadership rivals circle' and 'Golden boys' on Baftas red carpet

Published

on

Sign up for our morning newsletter and get BBC News in your inbox.

Copyright 2026 BBC. All rights reserved. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read about our approach to external linking.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cz623e3d06do?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=rss

Continue Reading

முக்கியச் செய்திகள்

Chris Mason: Another crunch moment for Starmer as he pleads with Labour MPs not to topple him

Published

on

It feels like the prime minister has to give the speech of his life today.

Those within the Labour Party who want to see him succeed acknowledge that you can't change everything in one speech.

But it is clearly imperative for Sir Keir Starmer to try to calm down a party that is hurting and anxious.

Many Labour MPs have spent the weekend observing the politically scorched earth around them locally – their friends and colleagues in local and devolved government wiped out. There are fraught emotions and there is anger.

And for the last few days now there has been the drip, drip of revolt, with Labour MP after Labour MP coming out publicly to say Starmer has to go.

With every one, a little more of the prime minister's authority drains away.

Incidentally, don't underestimate what a big deal it is for any individual MP to go over the top and say their boss should go – not least because, for now at least, those that have done so are a tiny fraction of the total number of Labour MPs.

And it was his name up in lights as their leader when many of them won their seats for the first time, and often in parts of the country where Labour rarely if ever win. So to say now, out loud, that you think he is a dud is a big deal.

Wherever you look in the Labour Party right now there are knots of anxiety.

Firstly, there is anxiety in Downing Street, of course. They are acutely aware of what is at stake.

Secondly, there is anxiety among the potential challengers, weighing up if, when or whether to go for it. Timing can be everything: get it right, and the premiership can be yours. Get it wrong, and what might be your only chance to be prime minister is gone.

Thirdly, there is anxiety among the many, many Labour MPs keeping their heads down and who really don't want the prime minister to leave right now, nor for there to be a leadership contest.

Then there are those who would like Mayor of Greater Manchester Andy Burnham to be Labour's next leader and so don't want a contest right now – because he needs time to firstly find and then win a Westminster seat, having been blocked from standing in one just a few months ago.

So what happens after the speech tomorrow? How do Labour MPs react? Does Catherine West, the former minister who has said she is willing to challenge the prime minister to try to force a contest, decide to back down, or press ahead?

Does the prime minister manage to put people off challenging him, at least for now?

Or is there a flood of anguish that leaves his position untenable and tempts one of the challengers to go for it?

Health Secretary Wes Streeting, in particular, faces a massive call in the next couple of days. He has said he won't challenge Sir Keir, but is prepared to make his case if it becomes clear the prime minister is a goner.

So does he go for it, or not? Some who would like to see him replace Sir Keir think this might be his very best chance, before Burnham can get back to Westminster.

It is worth emphasising that it is not easy to dislodge a sitting prime minister who doesn't want to budge and, up until now at least, Sir Keir has given every indication he wants to stick around.

But what a moment he confronts and his party confronts.

The Labour Party is in a glum swirl right now, where no one can be certain what will happen next.

Whatever does – or doesn't – happen will have consequences for us all.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cevp4kr79e4o?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=rss

Continue Reading

முக்கியச் செய்திகள்

Ailing Iran Nobel laureate given bail and hospital transfer

Published

on

Iranian human rights campaigner Narges Mohammadi has been transferred from jail to a Tehran hospital amid concern over her deteriorating health.

Iranian authorities granted Mohammadi "a sentence suspension on heavy bail", a foundation run by her family said on Sunday.

Last week Mohammadi's family and supporters warned she could die in prison after suffering two suspected heart attacks earlier this year.

Mohammadi, 54, was awarded the 2023 Nobel Peace Prize for her activism against female oppression in Iran and promoting human rights.

After pleas from her family for her to be transferred from prison, Mohammadi is "now at Tehran Pars Hospital to be treated by her own medical team", ​the Narges Mohammadi Foundation said in a statement.

She had spent 10 days hospitalised in Zanjan in northern Iran, where she had been serving her sentence.

Mohammadi's Paris-based husband said "she is not in a favourable general condition" and that "her status remains unstable", in a statement over the weekend.

The activist is believed to have lost about 20kg (three stone) while in prison, and has difficulty speaking and is barely recognisable, according to her lawyer Chirinne Ardakani.

In 2021, Mohammadi began serving a 13-year sentence on charges of committing "propaganda activity against the state" and "collusion against state security", which she denied.

In December 2024, she was given a temporary release from Tehran's notorious Evin prison on medical grounds.

Mohammadi was arrested last December for making "provocative remarks" at a memorial ceremony, Iranian authorities said at the time. Her family said she was taken to hospital after being beaten during the arrest.

In early February, Mohammadi was sentenced by a Revolutionary Court to an additional seven-and-a-half years in prison after being convicted of "gathering and collusion" and "propaganda activities", her lawyer said.

Last month, Mohammadi's brother Hamidreza said his sister had been found unconscious by fellow inmates at Zanjan prison after suffering a suspected heart attack.

The foundation's statement on Sunday said "a suspension is not enough" and that the human rights activist requires "permanent, specialised care".

"We must ensure she never returns to prison to face the 18 years remaining on her sentence," it read.

"Now is the time to demand her unconditional freedom and the dismissal of all charges. No human and women's rights activists should ever be imprisoned for their peaceful work," it said.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c1j257w87neo?at_medium=RSS&at_campaign=rss

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 by 7Tamil Media, All rights reserved.