Connect with us

உலகம்

West Bank scepticism as Palestinians doubt local elections will change much

Published

on

Frustration with the Palestinian Authority and Israeli occupation fuel voter apathy in local West Bank elections.

Ramallah, occupied West Bank – Hani Odeh has spent four and a half difficult years as mayor of Qusra, southeast of Nablus.

Surrounded by illegal Israeli settlements and outposts, the small Palestinian town of approximately 6,000 in the northern West Bank faces relentless settler attacks that left two residents killed last month.

Many are unable to access their agricultural fields as settlers repeatedly damage the village’s water pipes. But when his Palestinian neighbours go to the polls for municipal elections on Saturday, he will not be on the ballot.

“The resources are limited, the demands are many, there’s the settlers, the army – the problems don’t stop,” he says. “You can’t do anything for them. I’m exhausted. I just want to rest, honestly.”

Only three months ago, the Palestinian Authority (PA) announced that there would be local elections on April 25 for municipalities and village councils, the first such elections in nearly five years. There have been no national elections since 2006, keeping the Fatah-ruled PA in power in the West Bank more than 17 years after its initial mandate expired.

Odeh, who will be stepping down, doesn’t believe there is much point to the vote. “It won’t change the reality,” he says, pointing out that the gate to enter Qusra has been shut by the Israeli military for two years.

Meanwhile, the PA civil servants that Odeh relies on to run Qusra receive salaries of just 2,000 shekels ($670), a fraction of what they are owed, as Israel continues to withhold tax revenues earmarked for the Palestinians.

According to the Palestine Elections Commission, 5,131 candidates are competing across 90 municipal councils and 93 village councils on April 25, with nearly a third of the electorate between the ages of 18 and 30.

Across the West Bank, many agree with Odeh, and express doubts that these elections can move the needle on anything that actually matters.

In the days leading up to the vote in Ramallah, there have been no campaign posters hanging along the streets. That is because Ramallah – the city where the PA is headquartered – is not holding competitive elections this Saturday. Neither is Nablus, another major city in the West Bank.

Instead, both cities are being decided through a process known as acclamation, in which a single list of candidates is elected without a formal vote. Across the West Bank, 42 municipal councils and 155 village councils will be filled this way – a majority of local administrative authorities.

Historically used in small villages where extended families agreed on candidates, the process is now being applied in major cities that are PA strongholds – such as Ramallah and Nablus – where Fatah mobilisation has discouraged challengers.

“There is definitely a sense of futility in certain places,” says Zayne Abudaka, cofounder of the Institute for Social and Economic Progress (ISEP), which regularly surveys Palestinian sentiments and views, “and I think that makes it easier for places to just not have an election.”

Fatima*, a businesswoman who runs an education centre in el-Bireh, says she hasn’t voted in an election since the last Palestinian national election 20 years ago – and she doesn’t plan to this time, either. “They will choose a new group of decisionmakers, and I believe they will do the same according to the old decisionmakers,” says Fatima. “We don’t see any difference between them. It is not fair.”

Sara Nasser, 26, a pharmacist who commutes to Ramallah for work from the village of Deir Qaddis, west of the city, says she has simply grown accustomed to elections not happening and will not vote. “It’s been since before I was aware that there were significant elections,” she says. “We’ve always lived like this.”

Not everyone is so pessimistic. Iyad Hani, 20, works at a children’s store and is enthusiastic to vote for the first time in his life in el-Bireh. “Hopefully, the one coming is better than the one who left,” he says. “There should be construction in the town and fixing the streets – that’s the most important thing.”

Muhammad Bassem, who is a restaurant manager in Ramallah, is also showing up to the polls, optimistic for what change may bring. “It is the new faces that bring about change for the better – always for the better,” he says. “We want our country to be beautiful, clean and to offer plenty of comfortable employment opportunities, tourism and development.”

Others are not so sure. Amani, who is from Tulkarem but works in Ramallah as a receptionist, watches the campaigns play out on her phone, though she does not plan to vote. “Right now, they keep saying, ‘we’re going to do this, we’re going to do that,'” she says. “But I don’t know if any of it will actually yield results.”

The Tulkarem issues she is thinking of, such as inadequate waste management, no parks for children and roads in disrepair, fall squarely into the kinds of changes that local elections might have an impact on, she suggests. “I just hope that something genuinely new and positive comes out of this.”

Underlining the question of these specific elections is a broad disillusionment with the PA that colours nearly every conversation about Palestinian political life.

Fatima says she and her whole family are politically aligned with Fatah, the effective governing party of the PA. “We don’t hate Fatah,” she says. “We hate the decisions they are taking right now.” While she says her business has contracted 85 percent in recent years, the PA still charges her 16 percent VAT.

That same disillusionment extends even to the elections in small localities like Qusra, which Mayor Odeh calls “a family affair, not a political affair”.

“People have lost faith in the parties, lost faith in the [Palestinian] Authority, lost faith in the whole world,” he says, expecting low turnout on Saturday. While most candidates in Qusra are politically aligned with Fatah, Odeh says no candidates in Qusra’s election this Saturday are doing so officially. “If they run under political affiliations, no one will support them.”

According to the Palestine Elections Commission, 88 percent of those on the ballots this year are doing so as independent candidates.

While polling suggests roughly 70-80 percent of Palestinians distrust the PA as an institution, Obada Shtaya resists framing this simply as a PA problem, considering the PA’s hobbled finances and its shrinking autonomy in Areas A and B under Israeli occupation. Israel continues to expand settlements and military raids in the West Bank, and the PA has no power to respond, with the prospect of a Palestinian state increasingly distant.

“Pessimism, lack of hope, helplessness – it is beyond the classical distrust in the PA,” he says. “It is looking at the PA and potentially understanding that these people also don’t have much that they can do to help themselves.”

A new amendment to the local elections law, requiring all candidates to affirm their commitment to agreements signed by the PLO – widely understood as a measure to exclude Hamas and other opposition factions – now threatens to taint how people perceive these elections. “If you want to run, you need to pre-agree to things at the national level,” says Shtaya. “But this is about local service delivery. Why am I having to sign things that deal with agreements between the PA and Israel?”

Despite the many naysayers in this election, “Palestinians are thirsty for democracy,” says the pollster, including those in Gaza. What is missing is not the will, he says, but the proper architecture for it: elections announced years in advance, a functioning legislature, and accountability that extends beyond voting day.

“There isn’t a credible setup that shows people their vote makes a difference,” says Shtaya. Without that, sporadic elections take place at what he calls the surface level: real enough that some people show u

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2026/4/25/west-bank-scepticism-as-palestinians-doubt-local-elections-will-change-much?traffic_source=rss

உலகம்

‘One of the longest’ Russian attacks kills at least six people in Ukraine

Published

on

Moscow says it intercepts and destroys 286 Ukrainian drones overnight.

At least six people have been killed and dozens injured in “one of the longest, massive Russian attacks against Ukraine”, according to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, despite renewed claims from the Russian and United States presidents that the war may be nearing an end.

Zelenskyy said the barrage began on Wednesday morning and lasted for hours, striking Kyiv, the western city of Lviv near the Polish border and the Black Sea port of Odesa, among other areas.

“Our soldiers are defending Ukraine, but Russia’s obvious goal is to overload air defences,” Zelenskyy said on Telegram, warning that cruise and ballistic missile strikes could follow the drone attacks.

In the southern region of Kherson, Governor Oleksandr Prokudin said a woman was killed when a Russian drone struck a bus in the town of Bilozerka.

Another drone attack in the western region of Rivne killed three people and injured four, according to Governor Oleksandr Koval.

In the Kharkiv region in northeastern Ukraine, authorities said a 60-year-old man was killed when Russian forces attacked a community near the city of Zolochiv with first-person view drones. Police said two homes and several outbuildings were damaged.

Farther south, Governor Ivan Fedorov said a 76-year-old man was killed in an attack on an agricultural enterprise in the region of Zaporizhia.

“The Russians attacked the territory of one of the agricultural enterprises with a guided aerial bomb,” Fedorov wrote on Telegram. “The blast wave and debris damaged the buildings.”

The latest attacks were carried out as US President Donald Trump and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, suggested that the more than four-year war could be approaching an end.

Trump said on Tuesday that he believed Moscow and Kyiv would “soon reach a deal” to end the fighting.

“The end of the war in Ukraine I really think is getting very close,” Trump told reporters before departing the White House for a summit in Beijing. “Believe it or not, it’s getting closer.”

Putin also said last weekend that Russia’s invasion of Ukraine was possibly “coming to an end”.

Al Jazeera’s Audrew MacAlpine said hundreds of drones were launched across Ukraine overnight on Wednesday, striking regions far from the front lines and leaving people dead and injured.

“The target is allegedly energy infrastructure but also civilian areas have been damaged in the process,” she said.

MacAlpine added that despite the escalating attacks, Kyiv says it still believes diplomacy remains possible.

“Ukrainian President Zelenskyy on Wednesday speaking to the Bucharest Nine and other Nordic leaders said Ukraine hasn’t given up on diplomacy,” she said. “He also added that he hopes US President Donald Trump in his meeting with [Chinese leader] Xi convinces them to put pressure on Moscow to end the war.”

However, fighting continued on both sides of the border.

In Russia’s Bryansk region, Governor Alexander Bogomaz said Ukrainian drones injured two people in the village of Antonovka. Eight homes and a civilian car were damaged, he said.

In the Russian-controlled parts of Ukraine’s Kherson region, Moscow-installed Governor Volodymyr Saldo said two women were killed in separate drone attacks in the cities of Oleshky and Hola Prystan, and a man was injured in the community of Velyka Lepetykha.

In Russia’s Belgorod region, Governor Vyacheslav Gladkov said four people were injured in recent drone attacks, including three in the village of Bessonovka.

Russia’s Ministry of Defence said its forces intercepted and destroyed 286 Ukrainian drones overnight across multiple regions, including Belgorod, Bryansk, Kursk and Rostov as well as over the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/5/13/russian-attacks-across-ukraine-kill-at-least-six?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Russia places UK ex-Defence Minister Ben Wallace on wanted list

Published

on

Wallace last year recommended helping Ukraine carry out a strike on the bridge linking Russia to annexed Crimea.

Russia ‌has placed British former Defence Minister Ben Wallace ⁠on a ⁠wanted list in connection with an unspecified criminal investigation, according to the Russian ⁠Interior Ministry’s database cited by state media.

State-run news agency TASS quoted an unnamed source in law enforcement as saying that the investigation was linked to “terrorism-related charges”.

Wallace served as the UK’s defence minister from 2019 – before Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in ⁠2022 – until August 2023. He has continued to advocate boosting military support for Kyiv and condemned Russian aggression.

In October last year, a regional Russian lawmaker called for Wallace to be put on Russia’s wanted list over comments he made the previous month at the Warsaw Security Forum about Crimea, which Russia annexed from Ukraine in 2014.

On that occasion, Wallace recommended helping Ukraine carry out a military strike on the bridge linking southern Russia to Crimea.

“We have to help Ukraine have ⁠the long-range capabilities to make Crimea unviable. We need to choke the ⁠life out of Crimea. And if we ⁠do that, I think [Russian President Vladimir] Putin will realise he’s got something to lose,” he said. “We need to smash the cursed bridge.”

Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov at the time described Wallace’s remarks as “stupid”, stressing that Moscow does not consider it necessary to comment on statements by former Western officials.

Numerous individuals and groups inside and outside Russia have been prosecuted as the Kremlin has cracked down on dissent concerning its narrative of the war in Ukraine.

In 2024, Putin signed a law allowing authorities to confiscate the assets of people convicted of spreading “deliberately false information” about the military. It covers offences such as “justifying terrorism” and spreading “fake news” about the military, and has been used extensively to silence Putin’s critics.

Last year, Russia’s Federal Security Service (FSB) opened a criminal case against exiled oligarch Mikhail Khodorkovsky, accusing him of creating a “terrorist organisation” and plotting to violently seize power.

The FSB said the charges related to the activities of a Khodorkovsky-backed group that opposes the war in Ukraine. Khodorkovsky said Russia was a “fully fledged totalitarian dictatorship” and promised to “fight for a Russia governed by the rule of law and political pluralism”.

Moscow issued an arrest warrant for the International Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutor Karim Khan in 2023 after he issued a warrant for Putin’s arrest on war crimes charges.

It is not ‌clear how many foreign officials or public figures are on the Russian Interior Ministry’s database of wanted persons. ‌Independent news outlet Mediazona reported that the list includes dozens of European politicians and officials.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/5/13/russia-places-uk-former-minister-ben-wallace-on-wanted-list?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Church leaders killed in latest ethnic violence in India’s Manipur

Published

on

Church leaders killed in latest ethnic violence in India's Manipur

Protests were held after three church leaders were killed and three others injured in a deadly ambush in India’s Manipur state, the latest incident of ethnic violence that has killed more than 260 people since 2023.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/newsfeed/2026/5/13/church-leaders-killed-in-latest-ethnic-violence-in-indias-manipur?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 by 7Tamil Media, All rights reserved.