Connect with us

உலகம்

Thousands of protesters demand president’s resignation in Bolivia’s La Paz

Published

on

Bolivia faces its worst economic crisis in 40 years, fueling nationwide protests demanding the president’s resignation.

Antigovernment protests have escalated across Bolivia, with thousands of people demanding the resignation of centre-right President Rodrigo Paz as road blockades leave the administrative capital, La Paz, short of food, fuel and medicine.

On Monday, farmers, miners, teachers, public sector workers and Indigenous communities converged on the city after weeks of mobilisations over wage increases, economic instability and moves to privatise state-owned companies.

Bolivia is facing its worst economic crisis in 40 years, with year-on-year inflation reaching 14 percent in April, eroding purchasing power and deepening anger over rising living costs.

“We want him to resign because he’s incompetent. Bolivia is going through a moment of chaos,” said 60-year-old farmer Ivan Alarcon, who travelled about 90km (60 miles) from Caquiaviri in western Bolivia to join the protests.

Tear gas blanketed central La Paz for hours as riot police confronted the demonstrators trying to reach the main square that houses key government buildings.

Protesters hurled stones and small explosives in response. Authorities have not released an official injury toll, but the AFP news agency reported that at least two protesters were injured.

Images released by the government showed protesters entering an office and carrying away furniture, computers and other equipment.

Local TV station Unitel reported more than 100 detentions nationwide.

Paz, who took office less than six months ago after two decades of largely socialist rule, has moved quickly to scrap longstanding fuel subsidies that officials say had drained Bolivia’s foreign currency reserves.

The decision has so far failed to stabilise fuel supplies and has instead intensified public anger over higher prices and shortages.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2026/5/19/thousands-of-protesters-demand-presidents-resignation-in-bolivias-la-paz?traffic_source=rss

உலகம்

Southampton expelled from world’s most lucrative football match for spying

Published

on

Southampton out of EFL championship playoff final after spying on Middlesbrough, who face Hull for Premier League place.

Southampton have been expelled from the English Football League (EFL) Championship playoff final after admitting to spying on a training session of semifinal opponents Middlesbrough.

Middlesbrough have been reinstated as a result of Tuesday’s decision and are set to face Hull at Wembley on Saturday for a place in English football’s Premier League.

The match is regarded as the most lucrative in world football, given the winner is promoted to the Premier League – the richest club competition in the global game – and receives 200 million British pounds ($268m) in extra income.

Southampton will also be docked four points next season after admitting to multiple breaches of regulations related to the “unauthorised filming of other clubs’ training” sessions, according to a statement from the EFL.

“An independent disciplinary commission has today expelled Southampton from the Sky Bet Championship play-offs,” the EFL said.

Southampton, relegated from the Premier League last season, confirmed they would appeal the sanctions.

The EFL said the parties were working to ensure an appeal could be heard on Wednesday.

“Subject to the outcome, it could result in a further change to Saturday’s fixture,” the EFL said.

A member of the Southampton coaching staff was caught by Middlesbrough officials recording training on his phone.

The EFL confirmed further charges had been laid against Southampton, and that the club had also admitted observing training sessions ahead of matches against Oxford and Ipswich.

The first leg ended 0-0 before Southampton progressed with a 2-1 win after extra time in the second leg.

Middlesbrough issued a statement welcoming the outcome of the disciplinary commission hearing.

“We believe this sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct,” the statement said.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/sports/2026/5/19/southampton-expelled-from-worlds-most-lucrative-football-match-for-spying?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Does Ukraine have the advantage at the moment?

Published

on

Kyiv takes the war deeper into Russia with a huge attack on the Moscow region.

There appears to be a shift in the years-long conflict in Ukraine.

Last weekend, Ukrainian forces struck deeper into Russian territory, piercing its air defences in a large strike on the Moscow region.

This came a week after fears of a Ukrainian attack forced Russia to scale down its annual Victory Day parade.

Kyiv’s also been relentlessly striking Russia’s oil facilities and military logistics, as it tries to disrupt supplies to the front lines.

All this as Russian missiles and drones continue to target sites across Ukraine.

So, where does the war stand in its fifth year? Does any one side have the upper hand?

Peter Zalmayev – Director of the Eurasia Democracy Initiative

Pavel Felgenhauer – Russian foreign policy analyst

Mark Episkopos – Research fellow at the Quincy Institute’s Eurasia Program

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/inside-story/2026/5/19/does-ukraine-have-the-advantage-at-the-moment?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Norway journalist calls out Modi over avoiding media questions

Published

on

Norway journalist calls out Modi over avoiding media questions

‘Modi, why don’t you take some questions?’

A Norwegian reporter asked Narendra Modi why he wouldn’t speak to the media after a press conference in Oslo on Monday. India’s prime minister has faced consistent criticism for his refusal to hold open media briefings.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/newsfeed/2026/5/19/norway-journalist-calls-out-modi-over-avoiding-media-questions?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 by 7Tamil Media, All rights reserved.