Connect with us

உலகம்

Tens of thousands rally in Serbia for antigovernment demonstrations

Published

on

The student-led movement, which began after the Novi Sad rail station disaster in November 2024, is pushing for early elections.

Tens of thousands of people, led by university students, have rallied in the Serbian capital to protest against the government and call for early elections.

The Novi Sad rail station disaster in November 2024, which killed 16 people, sparked anticorruption protests, calling for a transparent investigation, forcing then-Prime Minister Milos Vucevic to resign.

Serbia’s President Aleksandar Vucic later pushed back hard against the protesters.

With students leading the anticorruption movement, the demonstrations have snowballed into a campaign to push Vucic to call early elections.

Vucic said this week that the ballot could be held between September and November this year.

Protesters streamed into a central square in the capital, Belgrade, from several directions, many carrying banners and wearing T-shirts inscribed with the “Students win” motto of the youth movement.

Columns of cars drove into Belgrade from other Serbian towns earlier in the day.

Protester Maja Milas Markovic said students “managed to gather us here with their youth and wonderful energy; I really believe that we have [the] right to live normally.”

Serbia’s state railway company cancelled all trains to and from Belgrade on Saturday, in a bid to prevent at least some people from coming from other parts of the Balkan country.

In the evening, Sporadic clashes broke out between protesters and police near the presidency building and outside a park where Vucic’s supporters ‌have been camping since March last year.

Police fired teargas and stun grenades as they pushed back protesters further down the street. Protesters set fire to bins filled with rubbish.

Before the march, there were concerns of violent conflict between the protesters and Vucic’s loyalists, who are often hooded and masked and who have attacked student protesters in the past.

The protests have “huge support from the public, and that’s because they’re an all-encompassing movement … against the government,” Tetyana Kekic, a journalist in Belgrade, told Al Jazeera.

She said the challenge for the protesters is that they do not have a “clear political platform or policies … and they do not have a leader or a personality which could really challenge the president”.

The Serbian president has faced international scrutiny for his hardline approach towards the demonstrators.

The Council of Europe commissioner for human rights, Michael O’Flaherty, criticised Serbia’s government in a report this week and said he “will monitor the situation closely” on Saturday.

Serbia is formally seeking entry into the European Union, but it has maintained close ties with Russia and China.

The democratic backsliding under Vucic could cost the country about 1.5 billion euros ($1.8bn) in European Union funding, the EU’s top enlargement official warned last month.

The venue on Saturday is Belgrade’s Slavija Square, the scene of a huge antigovernment protest in March 2025. That rally ended in sudden disruption that experts later said – and the government denied – involved the use of a sonic weapon against peaceful demonstrators.

Students now say they plan to challenge Vucic in approaching elections later this year or next, which they hope will oust the right-wing populist government.

Vucic, government officials, and the pro-government media have branded critics as “terrorists” and foreign agents who wish to destroy the country – rhetoric that has ramped up political polarisation.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/5/23/tens-of-thousands-rally-in-serbia-for-antigovernment-demonstrations?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

உலகம்

Clashes in Belgrade as student-led protests demand elections

Published

on

Demonstrators challenge President Vucic’s rule and demand elections, justice and rule of law.

Clashes have broken out between protesters and riot police after an antigovernment rally in the Serbian capital, Belgrade.

Large crowds of demonstrators poured into central Belgrade on Saturday, many carrying banners and wearing T-shirts emblazoned with the “Students win” motto of the youth movement that organised the gathering.

Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic has sought to rein in mass demonstrations that have challenged his hardline rule in the Balkan country. The size of Saturday’s turnout suggested that dissent remains strong more than a year after protests first began with demonstrators demanding accountability for a train station tragedy in northern Serbia in November 2024 that killed 16 people.

Anticorruption protests forced then-Prime Minister Milos Vucevic to resign in January 2025 before the authorities moved to clamp down on the movement. Many in Serbia blamed the concrete canopy collapse at the station on alleged corruption-fuelled negligence during renovation work carried out with Chinese companies.

On Saturday, Serbia’s state railway company cancelled all trains to and from Belgrade in what appeared to be an effort to prevent at least some people from travelling to the capital from other parts of the country.

In a video posted on Instagram on Saturday, the president said protesters “have shown their violent nature and that they cannot stand political opponents”. Vucic, who was en route to China for a state visit, added: “The state is functioning and will continue to work in line with the law.”

Students on Saturday demanded early elections and the rule of law, accusing the government of crime and corruption. They said they now plan to challenge Vucic in this year’s elections, which they hope will unseat his right-wing populist government. Vucic said on Thursday that the parliamentary elections could be held between September and November.

Clashes were first reported near a park camp of Vucic loyalists outside the Serbian presidency building. The camp was set up before another large antigovernment rally last March as a human shield against protesters. Folk music blared from a fenced-off area surrounded by rows of riot police in full gear.

The Serbian president has come under international scrutiny for his hardline tactics against demonstrators over the past year, including arbitrary arrests and the use of excessive force. The Council of Europe’s commissioner for human rights, Michael O’Flaherty, criticised Serbia’s government in a report after he visited the country last week and said he “will monitor the situation closely”.

O’Flaherty also cited “reports of police protecting unidentified and often masked attackers of journalists and protesters”. He said the overall human rights situation has deteriorated since his previous visit in April 2025.

Serbia is seeking to join the European Union while cultivating close ties with Russia and China. Democratic backsliding under Vucic could cost the country about 1.5 billion euros ($1.8bn) in EU funding, the bloc’s top enlargement official warned last month.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2026/5/24/clashes-in-belgrade-as-student-led-protests-demand-elections?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Blast hits train in Pakistan’s Balochistan, killing at least 24 people

Published

on

More than 50 people injured in attack on train carrying military personnel in Quetta, capital of the southwestern province.

At least 24 people have been killed in a blast targeting a train carrying military personnel in Pakistan’s restive southwestern province of Balochistan, according to a senior official.

Army servicemen were among those killed in the provincial capital, Quetta, on Sunday in the attack, which wounded more than 50 people.

The official said the train was passing the Chaman Pattak signal in Quetta “when an explosive-laden car hit one of the carriages that resulted in a big blast”.

The force of the explosion caused two carriages of the train to overturn and catch fire, sending thick black smoke billowing into the sky.

The attack took place in an area where security forces are usually stationed, badly damaging several nearby buildings and shattering more than a dozen vehicles parked along the road.

The Balochistan Liberation Army separatist group claimed responsibility for the attack.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/gallery/2026/5/24/blast-hits-train-in-pakistans-balochistan-killing-at-least-24-people?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Suicide car bombing attack on a train in Pakistan kills dozens

Published

on

Suicide car bombing attack on a train in Pakistan kills dozens

A Baloch separatist group has claimed responsibility for an attack on a train carrying soldiers in Quetta, Pakistan. The suicide car bombing killed at least 24 people and injured dozens more, including women and children.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/newsfeed/2026/5/24/suicide-car-bombing-attack-on-a-train-in-pakistan-kills-dozens?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 by 7Tamil Media, All rights reserved.