Connect with us

உலகம்

Southampton expelled from world’s most lucrative football match for spying

Published

on

Southampton out of EFL championship playoff final after spying on Middlesbrough, who face Hull for Premier League place.

Southampton have been expelled from the English Football League (EFL) Championship playoff final after admitting to spying on a training session of semifinal opponents Middlesbrough.

Middlesbrough have been reinstated as a result of Tuesday’s decision and are set to face Hull at Wembley on Saturday for a place in English football’s Premier League.

The match is regarded as the most lucrative in world football, given the winner is promoted to the Premier League – the richest club competition in the global game – and receives 200 million British pounds ($268m) in extra income.

Southampton will also be docked four points next season after admitting to multiple breaches of regulations related to the “unauthorised filming of other clubs’ training” sessions, according to a statement from the EFL.

“An independent disciplinary commission has today expelled Southampton from the Sky Bet Championship play-offs,” the EFL said.

Southampton, relegated from the Premier League last season, confirmed they would appeal the sanctions.

The EFL said the parties were working to ensure an appeal could be heard on Wednesday.

“Subject to the outcome, it could result in a further change to Saturday’s fixture,” the EFL said.

A member of the Southampton coaching staff was caught by Middlesbrough officials recording training on his phone.

The EFL confirmed further charges had been laid against Southampton, and that the club had also admitted observing training sessions ahead of matches against Oxford and Ipswich.

The first leg ended 0-0 before Southampton progressed with a 2-1 win after extra time in the second leg.

Middlesbrough issued a statement welcoming the outcome of the disciplinary commission hearing.

“We believe this sends out a clear message for the future of our game regarding sporting integrity and conduct,” the statement said.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/sports/2026/5/19/southampton-expelled-from-worlds-most-lucrative-football-match-for-spying?traffic_source=rss

உலகம்

Does Ukraine have the advantage at the moment?

Published

on

Kyiv takes the war deeper into Russia with a huge attack on the Moscow region.

There appears to be a shift in the years-long conflict in Ukraine.

Last weekend, Ukrainian forces struck deeper into Russian territory, piercing its air defences in a large strike on the Moscow region.

This came a week after fears of a Ukrainian attack forced Russia to scale down its annual Victory Day parade.

Kyiv’s also been relentlessly striking Russia’s oil facilities and military logistics, as it tries to disrupt supplies to the front lines.

All this as Russian missiles and drones continue to target sites across Ukraine.

So, where does the war stand in its fifth year? Does any one side have the upper hand?

Peter Zalmayev – Director of the Eurasia Democracy Initiative

Pavel Felgenhauer – Russian foreign policy analyst

Mark Episkopos – Research fellow at the Quincy Institute’s Eurasia Program

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/inside-story/2026/5/19/does-ukraine-have-the-advantage-at-the-moment?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Norway journalist calls out Modi over avoiding media questions

Published

on

Norway journalist calls out Modi over avoiding media questions

‘Modi, why don’t you take some questions?’

A Norwegian reporter asked Narendra Modi why he wouldn’t speak to the media after a press conference in Oslo on Monday. India’s prime minister has faced consistent criticism for his refusal to hold open media briefings.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/newsfeed/2026/5/19/norway-journalist-calls-out-modi-over-avoiding-media-questions?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

More than 15,800 people killed in Russia’s all-out war on Ukraine: UN

Published

on

Nearly 800 children are among those killed in Ukraine since Russia’s full-scale invasion in February 2022, the UN says.

The United Nations has said 15,850 people, including 791 children, have been killed in Ukraine since Russia’s full-scale invasion of the neighbouring country in February 2022.

The “actual figures are likely significantly higher”, Kayoko Gotoh, Europe and Central Asia director of the UN’s Department of Political and Peacebuilding Affairs (DPPA), told the UN Security Council on Tuesday.

Peace talks have stalled between Ukraine and Russia. US President Donald Trump has attempted to mediate and announced the most recent three-day ceasefire earlier this month, but fighting has resumed.

Tuesday’s Russian attacks on Ukraine killed at least six people.

A 15-year-old boy was among three people killed in a Russian ballistic missile attack on the city of Pryluky in north-central Ukraine’s Chernihiv region on Tuesday morning, according to the State Emergency Service of Ukraine.

In the region of Sumy, two people were killed in an attack carried out by two Russian drones in the city of Hlukhiv in the Shostka district on Tuesday morning, the Sumy Regional Prosecutor’s Office said on Facebook.

In the evening attack on the same region, at least one person was killed and another injured in a Russian drone strike on a civilian car in the city of Buryn, according to the head of the regional military administration, Oleg Grigorov.

In Russia, two people were killed and six injured over the past 24 hours in a Ukrainian drone attack on the village of Borisovka in the region of Belgorod, according to Acting Governor Alexander Shuvaev.

Russia’s Defence Ministry said it intercepted and destroyed 70 Ukrainian drones in six hours between 05:00 GMT and 11:00 GMT on Tuesday over the various Russian regions as well as Ukraine’s annexed Crimean Peninsula.

Multiple drones that were heading towards the capital Moscow were shot down, Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin said. But in the Yaroslavl region, an industrial facility was hit by a drone, according to Governor Mikhail Yevrayev.

On Tuesday evening, two men were injured in a Ukrainian attack on a gas station in the village of Smotrova Buda in Bryansk region’s Klintsovsky district, according to Acting Bryansk Governor Yegor Kovalchuk, who did not specify whether the attack was carried out with a drone or a missile.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/5/19/more-than-15800-people-killed-in-russias-all-out-war-on-ukraine-un?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 by 7Tamil Media, All rights reserved.