Connect with us

உலகம்

Clashes as Morales-allied protesters march on Bolivian capital

Published

on

South American country suffers huge protests as economic crisis fuels unrest against President Paz’s government.

Bolivian security forces have clashed with followers of ex-President Evo Morales as they marched into the capital as part of a nationwide protest movement fuelled by the nation’s worst economic crisis in a generation.

After a six-day march through the Andes, thousands of Morales’s supporters, some brandishing dynamite sticks and slingshots, converged on the capital, La Paz, on Monday, where they were met by riot police.

Dynamite blasts rumbled downtown. Security forces fired back with canisters of tear gas that wafted over demonstrators who called for the president’s resignation just six months into his tenure. “Homeland or death, we will win!” they chanted.

Rallies and roadblocks that started over two weeks ago have become the biggest challenge so far to President Rodrigo Paz, Bolivia’s first conservative leader after nearly two decades of socialist governance, and have provoked shortages across the country.

Paz came to office last year as a wave of conservative leaders allied with the administration of President Donald Trump in the United States swept Latin America. Inheriting the nation’s most severe economic crisis in 40 years, Paz has struggled to replenish Bolivia’s scarce fuel, restrain its enormous budget deficit and resolve its shortage of US dollars, while also placating the powerful Morales-linked groups that could disrupt his presidency.

In recent days, his government has reached deals with striking miners and teachers, who agreed to end their protests. However, many groups continue to protest.

Road blockades have long been the main weapon of social movements allied with Morales that claim to represent Bolivia’s rural Indigenous majority. Over the past 16 days, these blockades have stranded thousands of trucks on key highways, triggering shortages of food, fuel and medical supplies in La Paz and other cities.

The government deployed police and military officers across the country to try to break the blockades over the weekend, leading to an unspecified number of injuries and at least 90 arrests as of Monday, according to the public prosecutor.

“They can march if it’s peaceful, but we will take action if they commit crimes,” Deputy Interior Minister Hernán Paredes said.

Paz accuses Morales of orchestrating the unrest to undermine his administration, and the president has seen support roll in from neighbouring states.

Eight allied Latin American governments, from Argentina to Panama, released a joint statement last week rejecting “any action aimed at destabilizing the democratic order”.

The US Department of State added to the condemnation on Sunday, saying it supports Paz’s efforts “to restore order for the peace, security, and stability of the Bolivian people”.

At Paz’s request, neighbouring Argentina announced it would start a weeklong humanitarian airlift to alleviate shortages in the country.

Morales marshalled the latest march from his hideout in Bolivia’s remote tropics. He has been holed up in the highlands for the past year and a half, evading an arrest warrant on charges relating to his sexual relationship with a 15-year-old girl.

Morales says the allegations are politically motivated.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/5/18/clashes-as-morales-allied-protesters-march-on-bolivian-capital?traffic_source=rss

உலகம்

Croatian president rejects new Israeli ambassador

Published

on

President Zoran Milanovic, a staunch critic of Israel’s war on Gaza, says Israel broke an “unwritten rule” by announcing their ambassador before approval.

Croatian President Zoran Milanovic has refused to approve Israel’s new ambassador to Zagreb due to the “policies pursued by the current Israeli authorities”.

“The proposed Ambassador of the State of Israel has not received, nor will he receive, the consent of the President of the Republic Zoran Milanović,” the president’s office said in a statement on Monday.

Milanovic, a staunch critic of Israel’s genocidal war on Gaza, said he had previously refrained from publicly commenting on the matter, in line with diplomatic practice, but now argued that Israel had broken the “unwritten rule” by announcing its proposed ambassador before receiving consent.

Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it was working with its Croatian counterparts to “resolve the matter of the status of Israel’s next ambassador in Zagreb”, in a statement carried by The Times of Israel.

Tensions between Croatia and Israel have been simmering amid Israel’s military aggression in Gaza and the broader Middle East.

In February, Milanovic announced that members of Croatia’s armed forces would not cooperate with the Israeli army “due to their unacceptable actions and unprecedented trampling of” international humanitarian law.

In March, he condemned the US-Israel war on Iran, saying that the desire for government change in Tehran could lead to “economic damage” and long-term consequences.

Nissan Amdur is meant to replace Ambassador Gary Koren, whose term finished at the end of May. According to Ynet, Amdur will now go to Croatia as charge d’affairs, which doesn’t need presidential approval.

A source familiar with the details told the outlet that Milanovic is a “problematic political figure who in the not-so-distant past made clearly anti-Israel and antisemitic remarks”.

It’s the first time in Croatia’s history a president has rejected the approval of an ambassador, the report said.

Milanovic said “granting or withholding of consent for proposed ambassadors is a sovereign right of” the president.

Milanovic has been in office since 2020, and is part of a left-wing party that holds different views to the conservative government, which is pro-Israel.

Despite having limited power, the the realm of confirming ambassadorial appointments is in his domain.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/5/18/croatian-president-rejects-new-israeli-ambassador?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Indian court declares another historical mosque a temple

Published

on

An Indian High Court has ruled that the medieval Kamal Maula mosque is a temple originally dedicated to a Hindu goddess. The move bans Muslims from praying at the disputed Bhojshala complex, something they have done for centuries.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/newsfeed/2026/5/18/indian-court-declares-another-historical-mosque-a-temple?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Iraq launches desert sweep after reports of secret Israeli bases

Published

on

Iraq launches desert sweep after reports of secret Israeli bases

Iraqi security forces have launched sweeping operations in the country’s western following reports of secret Israeli military bases there. Iraqi authorities have denied the presence of unauthorised foreign bases amid growing tensions involving the US, Israel and Iran.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/newsfeed/2026/5/18/iraq-launches-desert-sweep-after-reports-of-secret-israeli-bases?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 by 7Tamil Media, All rights reserved.