Connect with us

உலகம்

US judge dismisses indictment against Kilmar Abrego Garcia

Published

on

Judge says the human smuggling probe was reopened after the Salvadoran national filed his lawsuit against his deportation.

A United States judge has dismissed an indictment against Kilmar Abrego Garcia after finding that he would not have been prosecuted if he had not challenged his deportation.

On Friday, US District Judge Waverly Crenshaw said the Department of Justice only reopened its human smuggling probe stemming from a 2022 traffic stop after Salvadoran national Abrego Garcia filed his lawsuit.

“The court does not reach its conclusion lightly,” Crenshaw wrote.

“The objective evidence here shows that, absent Abrego’s successful lawsuit challenging his removal to El Salvador, the Government would not have brought this prosecution.”

Last year, Abrego Garcia became a symbol for President Donald Trump’s drive to clamp down on illegal migration and was sent to a mega prison in El Salvador despite a prior court banning him from being returned there due to a risk of persecution.

While the Trump administration brought Abrego Garcia back to the US in June of the same year, his return came only after prosecutors had secured a criminal indictment charging him with human smuggling and conspiracy to commit human smuggling.

Abrego Garcia pleaded not guilty to the claim and argued that he was being prosecuted in retaliation for suing the government to be returned to the US from El Salvador.

In the ruling to dismiss the indictment, Crenshaw wrote that the timing of the charges was central to the “presumption of vindictiveness”.

With Homeland Security already aware of the traffic stop two years ago and having closed the case against Abrego Garcia when it deported him, the case was only reopened once the US Supreme Court had ruled that he be returned from El Salvador.

Abrego Garcia’s deportation had violated a 2019 immigration court order that granted him protection against being returned to his home country after a judge found that he faced danger from a gang that targeted his family.

Despite his return to the US and his family, Trump officials have said that Abrego Garcia cannot remain in the country and have pledged to deport him again to a third country, a country where the person does not have any ties.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/5/22/us-judge-dismisses-indictment-against-kilmar-abrego-garcia?traffic_source=rss

உலகம்

What are the implications of US sanctions in Lebanon?

Published

on

Nine people targeted, including Lebanese military officers.

As Israel keeps up its attacks on Lebanon despite a ceasefire, the United States has sanctioned nine people, including two Lebanese military officers, accused of links to Hezbollah.

It comes while Washington brokers more talks between Lebanese and Israeli officials.

David Wood – Senior Lebanon analyst at the International Crisis Group

Randa Slim – Middle East programme director at the US-based Stimson Center

Elijah Magnier – Specialist in Middle East wars and regional military dynamics

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/inside-story/2026/5/22/us-lebanon-sanctions-implications?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

San Diego’s Muslims, a mosque, and a city shaken

Published

on

We hear how San Diego’s Muslim community is grieving, supporting one another, and trying to move forward after an attack that shattered their sense of safety. How does a community begin healing after unimaginable loss?

This episode was produced by Chloe K. Li and Sarí el-Khalili, with Spencer Cline, Catherine Nouhan, Tuleen Barat, and our host, Malika Bilal. It was edited by Noor Wazwaz. 

Our sound designer is Alex Roldan. Our video editors are Hisham Abu Salah and Mohannad al-Melhem. Alexandra Locke is The Take’s executive producer.  

@AJEPodcasts on X, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/the-take-2/2026/5/22/aje-onl-usa_sandiegomosque_av_v2-220526?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Man City boss and Palestine advocate Pep Guardiola to step down

Published

on

Man City boss and Palestine advocate Pep Guardiola to step down

The Spanish manager, who has spent years using his platform to condemn Israel’s genocide in Gaza and stand with Palestinians, is stepping down as manager of Manchester City after a trophy-laden 10-year reign.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/newsfeed/2026/5/22/man-city-boss-and-palestine-advocate-pep-guardiola-to-step-down?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 by 7Tamil Media, All rights reserved.