Connect with us

உலகம்

Cockroach Janta Party’s founder says Indian government took website down

Published

on

Group’s creator says his Instagram page was also hacked, along with the movement’s account.

The founder of an online satirical political movement that mocked India’s governing party has accused the government of taking down the group’s official website.

Abhijeet Dipke, who’s currently studying at Boston University and founded the so-called Cockroach Janta Party (CJP), said on X on Saturday that the government had taken down the “iconic” website.

Dipke launched the website and accompanying social media accounts a week ago in response to comments made by India’s Chief Justice Surya Kant earlier this month, in which he compared unemployed young people to cockroaches.

Kant has since clarified his remarks, saying his comments were aimed at people who acquire fraudulent degrees, and described the country’s youth as “the pillars of a developed India”.

Dipke said his personal Instagram account had been hacked, as well as the Instagram account of the CJP. The CJP’s Instagram page has attracted more than 22 million followers since it was launched a week ago. The party’s initials are a play on the acronym used by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP). In comparison to the CJP’s Instagram following, the BJP – the world’s largest political party – currently has more than nine million followers.

According to Dipke, one million people have signed up to join the movement in the past week. The CJP is campaigning for Indian Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan to resign, with Dipke saying 600,000 people had signed the movement’s petition. Large protests have broken out across the country in recent weeks, calling for Pradhan’s resignation, after allegations surfaced that exam papers had been leaked, forcing the cancellation of a government-run medical entrance test.

Speaking to Al Jazeera earlier this week, Dipke explained the thinking behind his rapidly growing movement.

“Those in power think citizens are cockroaches and parasites,” he said. “They should know that cockroaches breed in rotten places. That’s what India is today.”

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/5/23/cockroach-janta-partys-founder-says-indian-government-took-website-down?traffic_source=rss

உலகம்

Man Utd’s Fernandes trumps Arsenal to Premier League player of season award

Published

on

Arsenal’s Gabriel, David Raya and Declan Rice, and Man City’s Erling Haaland and Antoine Semenyo, pipped to EPL award.

Manchester ‌United captain Bruno Fernandes has been named the ⁠Premier League ⁠player of the season after guiding his club to third place in the ⁠standings while equalling the league’s assists record with a game to spare.

Fernandes tied the league ⁠record of 20 assists, jointly held by former Arsenal striker Thierry Henry and ex-Manchester City playmaker Kevin De Bruyne, with one game of the season to spare.

The Portugal international also scored eight goals as United ‌secured a third-place finish to qualify for the Champions League.

The 31-year-old midfielder was nominated alongside Arsenal’s title-winning trio of Gabriel, David Raya and Declan Rice, Man City’s Erling Haaland and Antoine Semenyo, Nottingham Forest midfielder Morgan Gibbs-White and Brentford striker ⁠Igor Thiago.

Fernandes emerged as the ⁠Premier League’s best playmaker this season when he created a league-high 132 chances. The next best player was Liverpool’s Dominik Szoboszlai, who ⁠created 89 chances.

Fernandes was named the Football Writers’ Association men’s player of ⁠the year earlier this month, while he also picked up the club’s Sir Matt Busby Player of the Year honour for the fifth time.

He has the opportunity ‌to make the Premier League assists record his own on Sunday when United travel to Brighton & Hove ‌Albion ‌for the final game of the season.

The award for Fernandes marks a rare occasion that a player that was not part of a title winning side that season is recognised for their achievement. Kevin De Bruyne’s 2020 award, when Liverpool won the league, was the last example.

United’s return to form since sacking Ruben Amorim as manager in January saw interim head coach Michael Carrick appointed as his permanent replacement on Friday.

Fernandes will line up for Portugal at this summer’s 2026 World Cup, with his nation opening their campaign against Congo on June 17, before facing Uzbekistan and Colombia.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/sports/2026/5/23/man-utds-fernandes-trumps-arsenal-to-premier-league-player-of-season-award?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

China coal mine blast kills at least 90, leaves nine missing

Published

on

A gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in China’s Shanxi province has killed at least 90 workers, with nine still missing. The blast hit late on Friday when hundreds of miners were underground. President Xi Jinping has ordered all out rescue efforts as authorities investigate and detain a company official.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/newsfeed/2026/5/23/china-coal-mine-blast-kills-at-least-90-leaves-nine-missing?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Uganda confirms three new Ebola cases, bringing total to five

Published

on

The new cases in Uganda include a driver who transported the country’s first ⁠confirmed patient and a ​health worker.

Uganda has confirmed three new ⁠cases of Ebola, bringing ⁠the total number of infections in the country in this outbreak to five, as authorities stepped up contact tracing to try to contain the spread.

The update from Uganda’s Ministry of Health on Saturday came a day after World Health Organization Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus announced the risk assessment for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola was being revised to “very high at the national level, high at the regional level, and low at global level”.

Nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths ‌have been recorded in Uganda’s neighbouring country, Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), the centre of the outbreak.

First responders in the DRC say they lack basic supplies, which some have attributed to foreign aid cuts by major international donors, particularly the United States.

The WHO has said late detection, the absence of a vaccine or virus-specific therapeutics, widespread armed violence and high mobility among the population make the DRC especially vulnerable.

Uganda suspended all public transport to the DRC on Thursday after confirming two cases of Ebola – one infection and one death – involving Congolese nationals who crossed the border.

The new cases in Uganda reported on Saturday include a driver who transported the country’s first ⁠confirmed patient and a health worker ⁠exposed while caring for that patient.

Both are receiving treatment and were identified among known contacts, the Health Ministry said in a statement.

The third case is a woman ⁠from DRC who entered Uganda with mild abdominal symptoms and later travelled from Arua, close ⁠to the border, to Entebbe before seeking ⁠care at a private hospital in the capital, Kampala.

The patient initially improved and returned to DRC but later tested positive for Ebola after a follow-up prompted ‌by a tip-off from a pilot involved in transporting her.

All identified contacts linked to the confirmed cases are being closely monitored, ‌the ‌ministry said, urging the public to remain vigilant and report suspected symptoms.

“At this critical moment in the outbreak response, it is vital that authorities maintain high vigilance to control expansion of the virus,” Tedros said on Saturday.

“The WHO is working side by side with Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention, and partners in the DRC and Uganda, to contain the outbreak, support affected people, and bolster a coordinated response.”

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/5/23/uganda-confirms-three-new-ebola-cases-bringing-total-to-five?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 by 7Tamil Media, All rights reserved.