Connect with us

உலகம்

Board of Peace envoy warns ‘permanent’ Gaza divide under current status quo

Published

on

UN Security Council urged to press for Israeli obligations and Hamas disarmament under Gaza ‘ceasefire’ roadmap.

The high representative overseeing the United States-founded Board of Peace for Gaza, Nickolay Mladenov, has warned that the deteriorating status quo in the devastated Palestinian enclave risks becoming “permanent”.

Speaking on Thursday to the United Nations Security Council (UNSC), Mladenov presented a roadmap detailing obligations for Israel and Hamas to implement a permanent ceasefire. He urged the UNSC to use “every means at its disposal” to press Hamas to disarm, while also saying that Israel must uphold its commitment under a ceasefire agreed in October.

“Let me say this clearly: the implementation cannot advance through Palestinian obligations alone,” Mladenov said, speaking via video call.

“The continued killings and Israeli restrictions affecting humanitarian flows are not abstract issues,” he said.

The war that Israel launched following the October 7, 2023 attacks on southern Israel by Hamas and other armed Palestinian groups was halted by a ceasefire in October 2025. More than 72,775 Palestinians have been killed in the conflict. But the Israeli military maintains a strict security regime, and many hundreds more have been killed in the past seven months. On Thursday, an Israeli drone attack killed a 26-year-old in Gaza’s al-Mahatta area, east of Deir el-Balah city, according to Wafa news agency.

Conflict monitors warn that since the ceasefire in the US-Israel war on Iran was struck last month, Israeli bombardment of Gaza has accelerated. Violent raids by settlers and the military in the occupied West Bank have also been increasing.

Mladenov, a veteran Bulgarian diplomat, warned of the risks of inaction by both parties.

“The risk is that the deteriorating status quo becomes permanent: a divided Gaza, Hamas holding military and administrative control over two million people across less than half the territory.

“Those people are likely to remain trapped in the rubble, dependent on aid with no meaningful reconstruction, because reconstruction financing will not follow where weapons have not been laid down,” Mladenov said.

“And the result? Another generation growing up in tents in fear, with despair as the most rational thing for them to feel.”

This, he said, is a scenario that Israelis, Palestinians and the region “should all fear and mobilise to avoid”.

In January, the US announced that the Gaza “ceasefire” was moving to phase two, which is supposed to focus on Hamas’s disarmament, long-term governance and the establishment of a panel of Palestinian technocrats to lead post-war Gaza. It also calls for the gradual retreat of the Israeli army, which still controls more than 50 percent of the Palestinian territory, and the deployment of an international stabilising force.

But with the war in Iran drawing the world’s attention amid a global energy crisis, the transition to the second phase has been stalled for weeks.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/5/21/board-of-peace-envoy-warns-permanent-gaza-divide-under-current-status-quo?traffic_source=rss

உலகம்

What are the implications of US sanctions in Lebanon?

Published

on

Nine people targeted, including Lebanese military officers.

As Israel keeps up its attacks on Lebanon despite a ceasefire, the United States has sanctioned nine people, including two Lebanese military officers, accused of links to Hezbollah.

It comes while Washington brokers more talks between Lebanese and Israeli officials.

David Wood – Senior Lebanon analyst at the International Crisis Group

Randa Slim – Middle East programme director at the US-based Stimson Center

Elijah Magnier – Specialist in Middle East wars and regional military dynamics

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/inside-story/2026/5/22/us-lebanon-sanctions-implications?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

San Diego’s Muslims, a mosque, and a city shaken

Published

on

We hear how San Diego’s Muslim community is grieving, supporting one another, and trying to move forward after an attack that shattered their sense of safety. How does a community begin healing after unimaginable loss?

This episode was produced by Chloe K. Li and Sarí el-Khalili, with Spencer Cline, Catherine Nouhan, Tuleen Barat, and our host, Malika Bilal. It was edited by Noor Wazwaz. 

Our sound designer is Alex Roldan. Our video editors are Hisham Abu Salah and Mohannad al-Melhem. Alexandra Locke is The Take’s executive producer.  

@AJEPodcasts on X, Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/the-take-2/2026/5/22/aje-onl-usa_sandiegomosque_av_v2-220526?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Man City boss and Palestine advocate Pep Guardiola to step down

Published

on

Man City boss and Palestine advocate Pep Guardiola to step down

The Spanish manager, who has spent years using his platform to condemn Israel’s genocide in Gaza and stand with Palestinians, is stepping down as manager of Manchester City after a trophy-laden 10-year reign.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/newsfeed/2026/5/22/man-city-boss-and-palestine-advocate-pep-guardiola-to-step-down?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 by 7Tamil Media, All rights reserved.