Connect with us

உலகம்

Mali drone strikes kill at least 10 civilians at wedding

Published

on

Mali’s military carries out strikes during security crisis after attacks last month by al-Qaeda-linked fighters and Tuareg separatists.

Drone strikes by Mali’s army have killed at least 10 civilians as they prepared to celebrate a wedding in the central region of San in another escalation of the conflict since armed groups launched a widespread coordinated assault late last month.

The strikes on Sunday occurred during a security crisis after attacks on the military government’s positions last month by fighters from the al-Qaeda-linked Jama’at Nusrat al-Islam wal-Muslimin (JNIM) and Tuareg separatists known as the Azawad Liberation Front (FLA).

A resident of the Tene locality, where the strikes took place, told the AFP news agency that “10 of our children” were killed. “What was supposed to be a moment of joy in the village turned into immense sorrow,” he said, speaking on condition of anonymity.

“The tragedy occurred as the villagers were preparing the second edition of this traditional collective wedding, a major cultural event for this community,” a security source who requested anonymity for safety reasons told AFP.

The strikes targeted “a procession of motorbikes following one another”, he added. “That is certainly what drew the attention of the drones.”

A local official also confirmed to AFP that about 10 people had been killed. “A wedding was about to take place when the drones killed at least 10 civilians. It is truly a time of mourning,” he told AFP.

Mali has been in a critical security situation since JNIM teamed up with rebels in the FLA in April. A deadly offensive on April 25 and 26 targeted strategic towns and killed the country’s influential defence minister.

Al Jazeera’s Nicolas Haque, who has reported extensively from Mali, had said, according to military sources, “the fighters involved in this coordinated attack are targeting military armed compounds”, adding that “there is an unprecedented level of panic” in the military ranks.

Alex Vines, Africa director at the European Council on Foreign Relations, told Al Jazeera that Malian authorities appear to have been caught off guard by the latest wave of attacks.

Kidal and other towns and villages in the north have been captured and are now controlled by the FLA and JNIM, who have since imposed a blockade on the capital, Bamako.

Another wave of attacks by al-Qaeda-affiliated fighters was also reported on May 7, killing at least 30 people in central Mali. The villages of Korikori and Gomossogou in the Mopti region were targeted.

Mali, which is rich in gold and other valuable minerals, has been dealing with unrest since 2012. It has faced a deepening security crisis driven by the FLA , JNIM and the Africa Corps, a Russian government-controlled paramilitary that replaced the private Wagner Group.

Haque told Al Jazeera he learned from witnesses that Russian mercenaries were “fighting in Bamako, around the airport, where they have one of their headquarters”.

Mali’s former colonial ruler, France, and the United Nations had deployed soldiers and peacekeepers to the country to try to control the violence by armed groups, but Bamako expelled their forces after military coups in 2020 and 2021 and is now using Russian fighters instead.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/5/18/mali-drone-strikes-kill-at-least-10-civilians-at-wedding?traffic_source=rss

உலகம்

Croatian president rejects new Israeli ambassador

Published

on

President Zoran Milanovic, a staunch critic of Israel’s war on Gaza, says Israel broke an “unwritten rule” by announcing their ambassador before approval.

Croatian President Zoran Milanovic has refused to approve Israel’s new ambassador to Zagreb due to the “policies pursued by the current Israeli authorities”.

“The proposed Ambassador of the State of Israel has not received, nor will he receive, the consent of the President of the Republic Zoran Milanović,” the president’s office said in a statement on Monday.

Milanovic, a staunch critic of Israel’s genocidal war on Gaza, said he had previously refrained from publicly commenting on the matter, in line with diplomatic practice, but now argued that Israel had broken the “unwritten rule” by announcing its proposed ambassador before receiving consent.

Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said it was working with its Croatian counterparts to “resolve the matter of the status of Israel’s next ambassador in Zagreb”, in a statement carried by The Times of Israel.

Tensions between Croatia and Israel have been simmering amid Israel’s military aggression in Gaza and the broader Middle East.

In February, Milanovic announced that members of Croatia’s armed forces would not cooperate with the Israeli army “due to their unacceptable actions and unprecedented trampling of” international humanitarian law.

In March, he condemned the US-Israel war on Iran, saying that the desire for government change in Tehran could lead to “economic damage” and long-term consequences.

Nissan Amdur is meant to replace Ambassador Gary Koren, whose term finished at the end of May. According to Ynet, Amdur will now go to Croatia as charge d’affairs, which doesn’t need presidential approval.

A source familiar with the details told the outlet that Milanovic is a “problematic political figure who in the not-so-distant past made clearly anti-Israel and antisemitic remarks”.

It’s the first time in Croatia’s history a president has rejected the approval of an ambassador, the report said.

Milanovic said “granting or withholding of consent for proposed ambassadors is a sovereign right of” the president.

Milanovic has been in office since 2020, and is part of a left-wing party that holds different views to the conservative government, which is pro-Israel.

Despite having limited power, the the realm of confirming ambassadorial appointments is in his domain.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/5/18/croatian-president-rejects-new-israeli-ambassador?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Indian court declares another historical mosque a temple

Published

on

An Indian High Court has ruled that the medieval Kamal Maula mosque is a temple originally dedicated to a Hindu goddess. The move bans Muslims from praying at the disputed Bhojshala complex, something they have done for centuries.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/newsfeed/2026/5/18/indian-court-declares-another-historical-mosque-a-temple?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Iraq launches desert sweep after reports of secret Israeli bases

Published

on

Iraq launches desert sweep after reports of secret Israeli bases

Iraqi security forces have launched sweeping operations in the country’s western following reports of secret Israeli military bases there. Iraqi authorities have denied the presence of unauthorised foreign bases amid growing tensions involving the US, Israel and Iran.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/newsfeed/2026/5/18/iraq-launches-desert-sweep-after-reports-of-secret-israeli-bases?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 by 7Tamil Media, All rights reserved.