Connect with us

உலகம்

Peruvian authorities confirm Fujimori and Sanchez advance to runoff

Published

on

Candidates will face off on June 7 election after first round of voting marred by logistical errors, fraud allegations.

Peruvian election authorities have confirmed that right-wing candidate Keiko Fujimori will face off against the left-wing Congress member Roberto Sanchez in the country’s presidential runoff, following a chaotic first round of voting.

Peru’s National Jury of Elections (JNE) confirmed the results of the first round of voting on Sunday, with Fujimori taking first place with 17 percent of the vote. She was followed by Sanchez with 12 percent.

The electoral body also acknowledged problems with the first round of voting, which was marred by count delays and logistical issues. It pledged to make fixes before the runoff next month.

“We cannot deny that there were many difficulties and flaws in the logistical deployment by the organising entity, ONPE,” JNE President Roberto Burneo said during a press conference.

“We have incorporated all the lessons learned from the first round and are strengthening oversight,” he added.

The elections body stated that a committee of national and international experts will be convened to ensure a smoother process during the second round of voting.

Shortcomings in the first round on April 12 led to voting in some places being extended to the next day.

The election-day hiccups underscored widespread discontent and mistrust with the country’s political system and sparked allegations of fraud from several candidates.

Election observers have acknowledged frustrations but cautioned that there is no evidence of fraud.

Far-right candidate Rafael Lopez Aliaga, who came in third place with 11.9 percent of the vote, has called for the first round of voting to be annulled. In a social media post on Sunday, he said he would not accept the results.

“The electoral fraud in Peru has just been consummated,” he wrote. “We will not accept results that are the product of fraud and corruption.”

The controversy over the first round of voting is the latest incident to underscore Peru’s ongoing political crisis, with nine different presidents holding power in the last decade due to frequent impeachment efforts by the country’s Congress.

The country’s public prosecutor’s office announced charges for financial crime against Sanchez last week, hours after election authorities announced he was on track to advance to the runoff.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/5/17/peruvian-authorities-confirm-fujimori-and-sanchez-advance-to-runoff?traffic_source=rss

உலகம்

DRC faces deadly Ebola resurgence amid worsening humanitarian crisis

Published

on

The new Ebola outbreak has been reported in the towns of Rwampara, Mongwalu, and Bunia in northeastern DRC.

The Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is grappling with a new Ebola outbreak just five months after declaring its previous epidemic over.

The Bundibugyo strain, a type of Ebola virus first identified in neighbouring Uganda, is highly lethal and is spreading rapidly across the northeastern province of Ituri, including the health zones of Rwampara, Mongwalu and Bunia. Two cases have also been confirmed in Uganda.

With no specific treatment available, prevention, early detection and isolation of cases are critical.The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the outbreak a “public health emergency of international concern” after more than 300 suspected cases and 88 deaths were reported.“People are dying here every day,” an official in the Rwampara health zone who requested anonymity because he is not authorised to speak to the media told Al Jazeera.

Rwampara, the epicentre of the outbreak, has recorded an average of five deaths daily over the past three days, according to the official.“Some are in the community and others in healthcare facilities. The top priority here is to set up an emergency Ebola treatment centre,” he added.

In Bunia, the capital of Ituri Province, fear and uncertainty grip the city

“We are shocked that Ebola has returned amid an ongoing humanitarian and security crisis. If not contained, our daily lives will be severely affected,” said Constant Ulimwengu, 40, a father of five, to Al Jazeera

Sherif Musa, 29, another Bunia resident, recalled attending several funerals in April for people who died after showing symptoms resembling cholera. “Perhaps these unusual deaths are linked to Ebola. I doubt there would be a large-scale outbreak if that were confirmed,” he said.

The Congolese Ministry of Health identified the suspected initial case as a nurse of unknown age who died at the Bunia Evangelical Medical Centre on April 27.

“This nurse had presented with symptoms suggestive of Ebola virus disease,” the ministry said on Friday.

Local sources said that after the nurse’s death, the funeral proceeded as usual with people touching the body, which was not buried in a way to prevent the spread of Ebola. Experts warned that unsafe burial practices could accelerate the spread of Ebola within tight-knit communities.

Elie Badjo, an analyst on universal health coverage in the DRC, feared that community mistrust could hinder containment efforts.

“Already through our early warning platform, people are leaving comments suggesting that it is the major powers who want to take advantage of the situation to conduct their research or that there is a risk of extermination as we are in a period of war in the east,” he told Al Jazeera.

Local authorities are scrambling to raise awareness about the disease and implement preventive measures. Residents are urged to follow strict hygiene protocols, including washing their hands regularly, avoiding contact with people showing symptoms, not consuming bush meat and steering clear of dead animals.

“We are used to seeing outbreaks like cholera, typhoid and malaria here,” Musa said. “It is difficult for us to tell what is Ebola and what isn’t. If there is a large-scale outbreak, our town is not prepared to handle it.”

The Africa Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) stresses the need for swift, coordinated regional action.

“In the context of any outbreak, particularly when it is haemorrhagic fever, we need to isolate all suspected cases, identify individuals who may have had direct or indirect contact with the ill, and strengthen cross-border surveillance,” Dr. Jean Kaseya, head of the Africa CDC, told Al Jazeera in a webinar.

The risk of the outbreak spreading will be greater than what I witnessed in 1976 in Kikwit

by  Congolese professor and virologist Jean-Jacques Tamfum Muyembe

It has been reported that containing the outbreak in Ituri is particularly challenging. The province is densely populated and affected by violence with armed groups controlling parts of its territory. Mining regions, trading hubs and constant population movement increase the risk of rapid disease spread.

“This outbreak is occurring in one of the most densely populated regions of the DRC, where people move around a great deal,” Congolese professor and virologist Jean-Jacques Tamfum Muyembe, a codiscoverer of Ebola 50 years ago, told Al Jazeera.

“For example, Mongwalu is a mining region that attracts large numbers of people. Armed groups also hold sway in the region. The risk of the outbreak spreading will be greater than what I witnessed in 1976 in Kikwit.”

Ulimwengu adds: “We are already living in a humanitarian crisis. This new Ebola outbreak makes our daily lives even more uncertain. If the health authorities cannot act quickly, the consequences will be severe.”

From 2018 to 2020, the DRC faced its 10th Ebola outbreak in the eastern provinces of North Kivu and Ituri, which killed nearly 2,300 people.

Lessons from that outbreak highlighted the dangers of delayed responses, insufficient healthcare infrastructure and community mistrust. Experts warned that the new outbreak could strain an already fragile healthcare system.

Unsafe burials, delayed reporting, and limited access to healthcare appear to contribute to the risk of widespread transmission. Efforts such as coordinating community outreach, increasing testing and treatment capacity, and protecting healthcare workers are considered priorities.

In addition to healthcare challenges, the region faces social and economic pressures. Population movement, mining operations and local trading activities make surveillance and containment difficult. Armed groups further complicate response efforts by limiting access to certain areas.

Dr Jean Kaseya of the Africa CDC reiterated that isolating cases, tracing contacts and strengthening cross-border surveillance are critical to containing the outbreak. Regional cooperation is key, and rapid action can prevent the spread to neighbouring provinces and countries.

As the DRC confronts yet another Ebola outbreak, urgent measures are needed to prevent a repeat of past epidemics. Community engagement, awareness campaigns and strengthened healthcare capacity are essential. Failure to act swiftly could result in a large-scale public health disaster in one of Africa’s most vulnerable regions.

Sarah Ihora, 38, a mother of three, fled North Kivu to settle in Bunia. She recalled the restrictions that were put in place during the COVID-19 pandemic and is now encouraging her fellow citizens to cooperate in the Ebola response.

“Today, Ebola is spreading, and many people here in Bunia are talking about it. People should be receptive to all the guidelines issued by the authorities to limit its spread,” she told Al Jazeera.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2026/5/17/drc-faces-deadly-ebola-resurgence-amid-worsening-humanitarian-crisis?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Canadian FM: Is the US still a reliable ally?

Published

on

Anita Anand discusses Donald Trump, NATO, Israel, China and Canada’s international role.

Canadian Foreign Minister Anita Anand discusses whether Canada can still depend on the United States – as well as defence spending, Arctic security, Gaza, Iran, China, India, and Canada’s push to diversify trade beyond the US.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/video/talk-to-al-jazeera/2026/5/17/canadian-fm-is-the-us-still-a-reliable-ally?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

உலகம்

Three community kitchen workers among five killed by Israel in Gaza

Published

on

Israeli attacks on Gaza have killed at least 871 Palestinians since the so-called ceasefire began last year.

Israeli attacks across the Gaza Strip have killed at least five Palestinians, including three in Deir el-Balah, and others in Khan Younis and Beit Lahiya.

Sunday’s attack on the central city of Deir el-Balah targeted a community kitchen and all three victims were charity workers, according to Al Jazeera’s Hind Khoudary, reporting from Gaza City.

“This shows that Israel is not only targeting people, but also organisations serving the community across Gaza,” Khoudary added.

Reacting to the same attack, Hamas said it was “a deliberate war crime and a renewed scene of the ongoing genocide against our people in the Gaza Strip”.

“This occurs amid an unjustified international silence and inaction that emboldens the occupation to continue its massacres, in blatant disregard for all international values, norms, and laws,” said the armed group’s statement.

According to Gaza’s Health Ministry’s statistics published on Sunday, Israel’s genocidal war on Gaza has killed at least 72,760 Palestinians since October 7, 2023, including at least 871 since the so-called ceasefire started last October.

Israel’s military occupies about 60 percent of Gaza’s territory, demarcated by a so-called “yellow line” buffer zone.

In that zone on Sunday, the Israeli army said its forces killed a person saying, without providing evidence, that the victim was armed and posed an imminent threat to soldiers.

The army statement also said a Hamas commander was killed, identifying the man as Bahaa Baroud. There was no immediate confirmation from the group.

📰 மூல செய்தி (Source): https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2026/5/17/three-community-kitchen-workers-among-five-killed-by-israel-in-gaza?traffic_source=rss

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © 2024 by 7Tamil Media, All rights reserved.